NPMA offers these tips to protect homeowners from mosquitoes
- Eliminate sources of stagnant water including birdbaths, “kiddie” pools, swimming pool covers, barrels, and other objects that collect water.
- Add a fountain or drip system to birdbaths and ponds on your property to keep water fresh.
- Keep windows and doors properly screened.
- Be alert when outdoors during dawn and dusk hours, when mosquito activity peaks.
- Avoid wearing loose-fitting clothing, open-toe shoes and sweet-smelling perfumes or colognes when outdoors.
- Plan ahead for spending time outdoors and wear mosquito repellant with DEET.
- If you have a mosquito infestation on your property, call a pest professional for additional advice and treatment.